GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017!

+9
SensHulk
DefenceWinsChampionships
Oglethorpe
SeawaySensFan
spader
Flo The Action
wprager
tim1_2
PTFlea
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23

Go down  Message [Page 23 of 23]

331TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

That's what I heard.

332TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Totally estimating this:

Revenue:
Ticket Sales: $250 per ticket x 19,000 people => $4,750,000
Parking: 8,000 cars x $18 each => $144,000
Concessions: $40 per person x 19,000=> $760,000
Total: $5,654,000

Variable Costs:
Utilities
Non-contract staff
Food costs

I'd imagine they probably clear at least $2-2.5M per home game

333TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Thu May 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Totally estimating this:

Revenue:

Variable Costs:
Utilities
Non-contract staff
Food costs

Are you averaging those ticket prices between lower and upper bowl?
I would think the parking and conseesion is a lot less than that. Maybe not. I don't go to games often enough. Consessions aslo means cost of what is being purchased, calculating for a 3X mark up.
I think a low estimate (judging on you numbers) if we are being realistic would still have us netting 3mill a game.

334TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Revenue:

Variable Costs:
Utilities
Non-contract staff
Food costs

All your estimates are high. 

3 beer and a hot dog is about 40 but a family of 4 isn't putting back 12 beer.  

I think it's closer to 5000 cars

Average ticket price for round 3 is under 200.

335TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 2:00 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Back in the day they were saying each home playoff game brought in $1M profits.  So that's $8M minimum, even if we get swept.  And likely more, as they've upped the ticket prices each round.
Did they up the price on each round? Wow.
That 1mill was many years ago. I'm sure it's more than that now.

They should. They have a pretty exclusive product. There are only 4 cities holding NHL games. I'd certainly pay more for conference final tickets than 1st round tickets.

336TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 2:24 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Back in the day they were saying each home playoff game brought in $1M profits.  So that's $8M minimum, even if we get swept.  And likely more, as they've upped the ticket prices each round.

They should. They have a pretty exclusive product. There are only 4 cities holding NHL games. I'd certainly pay more for conference final tickets than 1st round tickets.
I understand the rational for wanting to sell them that much but at what point does it become price gouging.

337TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 9:03 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:

Revenue:

Variable Costs:
Utilities
Non-contract staff
Food costs

All your estimates are high. 

3 beer and a hot dog is about 40 but a family of 4 isn't putting back 12 beer.  

I think it's closer to 5000 cars

Average ticket price for round 3 is under 200.

You think it's high? It may be but it's not including any restaurant revenue, merchandising, etc. Parking doesn't include valet or any of the expensive lots, and ticket prices doesn't include boxes, bell zone, etc. Maybe concession prices are high. That's fair. But even if that's 25-30 a person it's still roughly $400K in revenue.

Fact is, I think it's safe to assume they pull in close to $2M profit a game.

338TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 9:09 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I understand the rational for wanting to sell them that much but at what point does it become price gouging.

It's economics. Supply vs Demand. Demand increases, price increases. They just have to be careful that they don't exceed their equilibrium price which in my opinion is why we are not selling out. Prices and cost of going to the game is exceeding the cost that consumers are willing to pay.

But the 'casual' bandwagon fans pay these prices. A co-worker of mine is buying two tickets in 305 row E for $450 CAD. Add on parking, food, beer, etc and their night is going to cost over $500. To me I'd much rather spend $150 of that at a bar and put the other $350 towards something else. But - if tickets were $150 each I'd maybe make the argument that it's money well spent. But $450 for two tickets in the 300s is ludicrous.

339TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

It's economics. Supply vs Demand. Demand increases, price increases. They just have to be careful that they don't exceed their equilibrium price which in my opinion is why we are not selling out. Prices and cost of going to the game is exceeding the cost that consumers are willing to pay.

But the 'casual' bandwagon fans pay these prices. A co-worker of mine is buying two tickets in 305 row E for $450 CAD. Add on parking, food, beer, etc and their night is going to cost over $500. To me I'd much rather spend $150 of that at a bar and put the other $350 towards something else. But - if tickets were $150 each I'd maybe make the argument that it's money well spent. But $450 for two tickets in the 300s is ludicrous.

I do think that Melnyk has a lot of incompetent people in his front office. Mostly on the sales and marketing side. Again, it's simple math to assess where the price equilibrium point is, the marketing team needs to do a better job creating hype both in the arena and around the city, and the in-game experience leaves something to be desired. Hell, we don't even have a goal song and we play Cotton Eye Joe every third whistle. There's no reason for that.

340TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 9:16 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'm sorry but anyone complaining about prices going up by a lot is nuts. same thing in every other city . Everyone should have bought a pack for next year to get super discounted playoff tickets. Round 1 cost me $30, round 2 cost me $65 (front row 300) and round 3 is $116 for 200 level corner

341TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 9:27 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:I'm sorry but anyone complaining about prices going up by a lot is nuts. same thing in every other city . Everyone should have bought a pack for next year to get super discounted playoff tickets. Round 1 cost me $30, round 2 cost me $65 (front row 300) and round 3 is $116 for 200 level corner

I don't think anyone here is 'complaining'. It's the reality of the business. Team does well and you want to go to a late playoff game you are going to pay for it. End of story.

342TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 11:07 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well I think the prices are fairly high if that's what they are for the 300's . Ev, you did pretty good if that's the deals you got. Unfortunately I don't live in the city so if I came down it be walk in prices and I can't see myself paying those prices at the moment. Maybe next year.

I understand the S&D equilibrium but even if does get matched with numbers it will still leave a section of fans that was only was able to pay lower prices feeling a little bitter about the huge hikes. What's the lowest possible prices to watch the games right now?

EDIT: just checked, 120$ seems like the lowest tickets. That's still somewhat ok.

Last edited by Flo The Action on Fri May 12, 2017 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

343TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 11:09 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Well I think the prices are fairly high if that's what they are for the 300's . Ev, you did pretty good if that's the deals you got. Unfortunately I don't live in the city so if I came down it be walk in prices and I can't see myself paying those prices at the moment. Maybe next year.

I understand the S&D equilibrium but even if does get matched with numbers it will still leave a section of fans that was only was able to pay lower prices feeling a little bitter about the huge hikes. What's the lowest possible prices to watch the games right now?

300s are around 130. That is not high for Round 3 of the playoffs.

344TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 11:10 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Well I think the prices are fairly high if that's what they are for the 300's . Ev, you did pretty good if that's the deals you got. Unfortunately I don't live in the city so if I came down it be walk in prices and I can't see myself paying those prices at the moment. Maybe next year.

300s are around 130. That is not high for Round 3 of the playoffs.
Yeah that's decent.

345TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! - Page 23 Empty Re: TRADE DEADLINE BONANZA 2017! Fri May 12, 2017 11:29 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The prices in Ottawa are nothing to complain about when you compare them with other teams. It's still an expensive evening out, but you can't say they are "overpriced" or whatever.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 23 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum